Thursday, March 21, 2013

World Down Syndrome Day

Today is World Down Syndrome Day 2013.  You might wonder why DS needs it's own day.  After all, everyone knows someone with DS and we all know about it, right?

Well, in this day and age of scientific advancement, a LARGE majority of people who find out that their unborn child has DS choose to abort.  (I've heard up to 90% but I can't confirm that number. There are also a lot people that choose not to find out.)

People need to understand that having a child with Down Syndrome is not the end of the world.  It's not a death sentence for your child or your family.  It's a different life but one that is full of small and large victories; good days and bad; happiness and sorrow.  (Sounds a lot like raising any child.  Doesn't it?)  

The International Down Syndrome Coalition has put together a beautiful video for World Down Syndrome Day.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.  (Sara watched this about 10 times and tried to mimic every dance move she saw.  I'm convinced the "dance" gene must be on the 21st chromosome.)  




Here are some of my favorite photos published last year by IDSC.  I'm sure you'll figure out why I love them:








No comments:

Post a Comment