Friday, March 29, 2013

Eye Update


We went back to the eye doctor today.  Always an adventure with this little one!  She wants to comply but her eyes just seem to be very sensitive.

Her eyes are still irritated but the doctor was able to get a good prescription.  She's definitely going to need some glasses.  We tried on a bunch of frames.  She really seemed to like the pink ones but threw a pair that weren't pink.   (They got to see a bit of the personality that she manages to hide from most people.)  I wish I had taken a picture with some on.  She looks so grown up!!!  I'm really hoping that she buys into them once she realizes how well she can see with them.  Right now, she enjoyed trying them on but wanted to put them all on her head like I do with my sunglasses.

I can't say enough about Meyer Eye Care.  They did a wonderful job with Sara and all her little quirks.  After trying on countless glasses, I asked if they had heard of Specs 4 Us.  They are glasses made specifically for kids with Down syndrome and their tiny noses.  They immediately called the company and have four samples on the way.  What great service!  So, we are going to wait until those come in before we make a final decision on frames.

She does have a congenital cataract in her left eye.  At this point, it's hard to tell how bad it is.  She didn't think it looked very thick and Sara can't tell us how much of her vision is impaired.  The plan is to visit a cataract surgeon for more information.

They dilated her eyes to get a better view.  They gave her some disposable sun glasses but she wasn't interested in them.  As soon as we got in the car, the light began to hurt her eyes.  I gave her my sunglasses but she threw them.  She also threw her snack cup, both shoes, and her socks.  By the time we got home, she was inconsolable.

She tends to call me Papa because she struggles to say the letter M.  In the midst of her wailing in the car, she was definitely crying Mama.  Not the way I wanted to hear it for the first time.  Fortunately, she settled down as soon as we got home.  She's now napping under her comforter.  It's nice and dark in there.

1 comment: