We had our integration meeting this morning. Basically, we met with a psychologist and decided that we make a good family and we can file for adoption.
As we were leaving, we ran into the lawyer. She said she wanted to wait a day or two to file our case because there are rumblings of a strike. Again. Yes. Those same judges may strike again.
Scenario 1: they file my paperwork today. The judges go on strike tomorrow. My paperwork is stuck somewhere and we can't get it back. We ride out the strike in Bogota. This would be a very long and expensive options. Hotels aren't cheap and I will run out of sick time.
Scenario 2: they file my paperwork at the end of the day tomorrow. The judges don't strike. I get approval in 3 to 5 weeks. This is the usual process. We are home as planned.
Scenario 3: the judges go on strike before my paperwork is filed. My paperwork will then be filed in a contingency court. I will get approval in 1 to 2 weeks. We will be home sooner than planned.
Selfishly,I would like scenario 3. I really want to go home. Unfortunately, that would be really bad for everyone I know whose paperwork has already been filed.
I'd be ok with scenario 2. That's what I expected.
I fear scenario 1.
Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble - James 1:27
Showing posts with label strike. Show all posts
Showing posts with label strike. Show all posts
Tuesday, January 22, 2013
Thursday, November 15, 2012
No News is.....Annoying.
No news is not good news. It's annoying. And, it just continues the emotional roller coaster.
Here's the chain of events (or non-events) that have me frustrated:
*About a week ago, it was stated that the strike had ended. This wasn't entirely true. The judges signed an agreement but haven't actually gone back to work in most of the country---including the city where Sara lives. Because of this...
*The embassy is still not issuing Article 5s (essentially Sara's visa). They fear that if they issue Article 5s, people will flood to Colombia to finish their adoptions. They don't want any more people to travel until the strike is over. Because of this....
*The agency won't officially give me a travel date. (I have an unofficial date but it won't be official until we get her Article 5.) Because of this....
*I can't buy a plane ticket. I REALLY want to buy a plane ticket. It would make things so much more real for me. Because of this....
*I can't get my visa. I need to have a plane ticket in order to get my visa from the Consulate in Chicago. Because of this....
*I can't get my final paperwork apostilled. I have to go to the Secretary of State's office downtown to get my paperwork apostilled. This means taking a day off of work to go into the city. I want to do the SOS and the Consulate on the same day so I don't have to take two days off from work. (While I really want to take a day off from work, I need to save every minute of my time off for my leave.) Because of this....
*I feel like I am getting no where. I have all of this stuff done and ready to go and all the money in place and I'm not getting any closer to my child!
I just want the strike to be over so I can get her Article 5, get a travel date, buy a ticket, apply for my visa, apostille my paperwork and be ready to go! Is that really too much to ask?
*On a side note, the embassy in Colombia is hosting a webcast tomorrow to give information about the current state of adoptions there. I'm really hoping for some good, useful, positive information.
Here's the chain of events (or non-events) that have me frustrated:
*About a week ago, it was stated that the strike had ended. This wasn't entirely true. The judges signed an agreement but haven't actually gone back to work in most of the country---including the city where Sara lives. Because of this...
*The embassy is still not issuing Article 5s (essentially Sara's visa). They fear that if they issue Article 5s, people will flood to Colombia to finish their adoptions. They don't want any more people to travel until the strike is over. Because of this....
*The agency won't officially give me a travel date. (I have an unofficial date but it won't be official until we get her Article 5.) Because of this....
*I can't buy a plane ticket. I REALLY want to buy a plane ticket. It would make things so much more real for me. Because of this....
*I can't get my visa. I need to have a plane ticket in order to get my visa from the Consulate in Chicago. Because of this....
*I can't get my final paperwork apostilled. I have to go to the Secretary of State's office downtown to get my paperwork apostilled. This means taking a day off of work to go into the city. I want to do the SOS and the Consulate on the same day so I don't have to take two days off from work. (While I really want to take a day off from work, I need to save every minute of my time off for my leave.) Because of this....
*I feel like I am getting no where. I have all of this stuff done and ready to go and all the money in place and I'm not getting any closer to my child!
I just want the strike to be over so I can get her Article 5, get a travel date, buy a ticket, apply for my visa, apostille my paperwork and be ready to go! Is that really too much to ask?
*On a side note, the embassy in Colombia is hosting a webcast tomorrow to give information about the current state of adoptions there. I'm really hoping for some good, useful, positive information.
Wednesday, November 7, 2012
Slight Change of Plans
There is a slight change of plans with the travel.. The adoption house (orphanage) where Sara lives lost their license. (I really have no idea why.) They are being taken over by social services. While they are not taking any new applications, I've been assured that Sara's adoption is not in jeopardy. On the contrary, I've been told that social services is aware of the situation and excited about the adoption. The staff at the orphanage are all the same---except the director.
The new director (from social services) starts after the Christmas break on January 14th. So, I will travel on the 13th and be her first appointment on Monday morning the 14th. I will meet my little girl on Monday, January 14th---which just happens to be her cousin's birthday.
I'm hoping that this is the last change and the last delay.
Please continue to pray for the end of the strike. There are currently 62 families stuck in limbo in Colombia---6 of those are American. I'm so glad to not be one of those families! I cannot imagine the stress and cost of being stuck there wondering when it all will end. It's hard enough to wait from here!
I'm trying to wait until the strike ends to book my plane tickets but it's a balancing act. I don't want to wait too long so they cost more money but I also don't want to buy a ticket and then have to pay change fees on both ends.
I cannot wait until the day that I land back in Chicago with my daughter. In that moment, it will all be worth it.
The new director (from social services) starts after the Christmas break on January 14th. So, I will travel on the 13th and be her first appointment on Monday morning the 14th. I will meet my little girl on Monday, January 14th---which just happens to be her cousin's birthday.
I'm hoping that this is the last change and the last delay.
Please continue to pray for the end of the strike. There are currently 62 families stuck in limbo in Colombia---6 of those are American. I'm so glad to not be one of those families! I cannot imagine the stress and cost of being stuck there wondering when it all will end. It's hard enough to wait from here!
I'm trying to wait until the strike ends to book my plane tickets but it's a balancing act. I don't want to wait too long so they cost more money but I also don't want to buy a ticket and then have to pay change fees on both ends.
I cannot wait until the day that I land back in Chicago with my daughter. In that moment, it will all be worth it.
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)