Saturday, July 14, 2012

The Starfish


The Starfish Story
Original Story by: Loren Eisley

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean. 

Approaching the boy, he asked, "What are you doing?"

The youth replied, "Throwing starfish back into the ocean. The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them back, they'll die."

"Son," the man said, "don't you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish? You can't make a difference!"

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said

"I made a difference for that one."


We've probably all heard this story. I think I first heard it in relation to missions work.

Lately, I've heard it in relation to adoption. People quote the statistic regularly that there are 147 million orphans in the world. Is my donation or support or adoption really going to help? It doesn't even make a dent in the problem.

Personally, I get very overwhelmed by Reece's Rainbow 's website. In all honesty, I only even look at the kids in Latin America because that's where my heart is and it seems to be one of the smallest groups. It breaks my heart to know that, right now, I can only help one.

This is the new campaign that Reece's Rainbow has started. This campaign has given me great perspective. I can make a difference for that one!
The names in that graphic are all children that have come home to their families with the help of Reece's Rainbow. Each name represents a child who is now loved and cared for in a way that they weren't before. Each name is a child who is growing and learning and bringing joy to their family. I can't wait until Sara's name shows up on their Already Home page. This graphic brings tears to my eyes when I think about all these beautiful children--at least one of which I got to meet!

This campaign also encourages me greatly and gives me hope. 196 kids came home in 2011! I know that some kids came home to the same family but that has to be at least 100 families that stepped out in faith. 100 families that decided to embark on this crazy journey. 100 families that decided all the fund raising, paper chasing, drama and stress were worth it. 100 families survived and 196 kids were saved!

I'm not sure how many children are home already in 2012. I think I read somewhere that it will be close to 100 very soon. I can't wait to see Sara, Keegan, Eli, Rose, Claudia, and so many more on that list.

I hope that the 2013 list includes Lene, Mark, Megan, James, and a whole host of others.

I know that the 2013 list will include some amazing families. Maybe, just maybe, it will include you?

No comments:

Post a Comment