Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Kids Helping Kids

UPDATE: I GOT 20 AMAZING FAMILIES TO SIGN UP IN LESS THAN 2 HOURS. NOW I JUST NEED SOME MORE WILLING TEACHERS. THESE FAMILIES ARE REALLY EXCITED AND HAVE SOME GREAT IDEAS!

If you know me at all, you know that I like projects. I also like helping people. What can I say? I like to be busy. I have "met" so many amazing families in this process and I hate that I can't help all of them. Or, can I?

Here's my latest project:

I teach at a Christian Special Education school. We are always looking for ways for the students to help others---instead of always being helped. So, in light of this, the students in the transition program are hosting a Pie in the Face Contest. For each $50 that we raise, we will throw a pie into the face of a beloved staff member. We have done this in the past and it's always a huge hit with the kids. I'm hoping that we will raise at least $1,000! All the money we raise will go to Reece's Rainbow families.

In addition to throwing pies, we will be sponsoring adopting families from Reece's Rainbow. I am hoping to get 20 classrooms to sponsor 20 families. The classrooms can choose to sponsor the family for the duration of the fundraiser (the month of September) or for the duration of their adoption. Classrooms can research the child's country, read the family's blog, email the family, support or promote their fundraisers, hold their own fundraiser for the family. The options are endless! I am currently recruiting the 20 classrooms. (If you teach at my school and want to be involved, let me know!)

Now, I just need the 20 Reece's Rainbow families. We are hoping to raise at least $50 for each family. (Anything we raise over $1,000 will be split among the families.) In return, I ask that you be willing to communicate with the students. (I know we are all busy so it won't be a huge commitment.) You need to be willing to share your blog address, your email, and a little bit about your family and your child (if you can). It will be up to the classroom teacher how much or how little they want to interact with your family. (The fundraiser will run through the month of September. If you expect your adoption to be completed by then, this probably won't work for you.)

Families - All you have to do is leave a comment here with your blog address and email!
Teacher - Just leave me a comment or send me an email and let me know your class wants to participate!


I think this will be a great opportunity to get Reece's Rainbow and it's mission out there to our students, staff, and families. Who knows, maybe one more child will find their forever family through this project!

These are the families we will be helping:
Matthews Family
Baird Family
Allison Family
Peterson Family
Johnson Family
Brown Family
Godone-Maresca Family
Vanhalle Family
Dismuke Family
Averett Family
Doyle Family
Gardner Family
Durbin Family
Middleton Family
Morse Family
Boroughs Family
2 Families that are committing very soon
2 Anonymous Families

9 comments:

  1. Hi Natalie.
    We would be honored to be one of your families. Please consider us! My blog adress is http://threelittlebirdsplusonemore.blogspot.com/
    My email is rhianonmat@hot.rr.com or rhianonmat@gmail.com

    Thank you SO very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would love to be included! Little B is from China. It would be great to have families from various countries so that the students and their families can see that the orphan issue covers the globe.
    Thanks!
    Beth
    bethbaird@bellsouth.net
    http://bairdsfaithtrustandpixiedust.blogspot.com/
    PS- While I canot publish a picture of him yet, I am allowed to share one with friends and supporters. If a class chooses our family, I will send them a picture so they can see who they are helping to bring home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so creative, I love it. Count us in, just let us know the details as you figure them out :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love to do this :) http://accordingtohisglory.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you send me your email address as well?

      Delete
  5. Hi Natalie! I don't know if we could be considered, yet. We are setting up our blog this week and our FSP should be set up this week, too. We are adopting a sweet p from Russia:) If you have any spots left we would love just to be considered! You have such a great idea and I love how the kids are the biggest part of it!

    ~Mali Kindall

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So exciting! Just send me your blog and email when you get going. This won't start until Sept 1st so you'll be good to go!

      Delete
  6. Thank you so much for all you have done! Our family is so thankful to have received $50 towards our adoption. We would love to send a thank you card to all the children please email me the address. daracing@juno.com. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete