I got a call today from my adoption agency. I was really hoping that I would find out that the orphanage director had approved my dossier. While I didn't get that news (it's coming soon), I did find out that I got a very generous grant from Show Hope. The grant just "happens" to be the exact amount that I needed to be "fully-funded." Coincidence? I think not.
So, what does that mean now?
In all honesty, I've been too excited to really think through the repercussions completely. I do know this--I can sleep tonight without doing math in my head trying to figure out how much I still need, where it's going to come from, how many scarves I can knit before the auction starts...you get the idea.
This grant takes all the pressure off. I have enough to pay the final agency fees. I think I have enough for a bare-bones travel experience. Anything raised from this point is just icing on the cake. Let me explain....
No one really seems to know how much it's going to cost me to travel to Sara's country. A big part of this is that no one knows how long I will have to stay. Some agencies say 4-6 weeks. Some say 5-7. Some say up to 9. (Do you get why I'm confused?) Because of this, each agency lists a different cost of travel. Mine says $4,000 to $11,000. That's a HUGE difference!
Right now, I have just over $5,000 in my FSP with Reece's Rainbow. This is what I plan to use for travel. I hope it's enough for lodging and plane tickets. (Depending on how much higher the price of gas goes....) I still plan to hold the auction in September. Any money raised from that will create a little "cushion" for unexpected expenses in country, or delays that we encounter in country, or a fun day on the town, or anything that might come up. Basically, it will keep me from doing math in my head when I should be sleeping in country--can we eat out tonight--can we stay another three days if the paperwork doesn't come tomorrow---can I afford to buy an extra sweatshirt for each of us since it's colder than I thought it would be---can we have a snack at the airport? You get the idea.
I don't want to get greedy. I don't want to take advantage of the generosity of so many amazing people who have worked and donated to get Sara home. I'm not looking for a luxurious or indulgent trip. In short, I don't want to over-fund raise. At the same time, I want to be prepared for this trip. I want my time in her country to be about bonding with my daughter and not about cutting corners and saving money.
So, will continue to have a Chip In on the blog. I will continue to take skirt and scarf orders. I will hold one more auction. But, I won't stress. I won't worry. I will rest in God's hand and know that he has and will provide all that Sara and I need.