Sunday, June 3, 2012

Yard Sale Extravaganza

A couple of months ago, the women in my small group asked if they could host a yard sale to benefit Sara. I was really honored that they wanted to do that. I really am surprised and touched every single time someone offers to help or donates to bring Sara home. Truly.

In all honesty, though, I really didn't think it would amount to much. I posted some info on my blog and facebook looking for donations. I got some from a few friends at work and took a tv that had been left in my basement by a former roommate. The women had their children pass out fliers at the church picnic but I still didn't really think it would come to much. I was thinking that maybe they would raise $200-300. I was praying they would make $500. I would have been THRILLED with $500.

Friday was a yucky day. It was one of those days where it wasn't really raining but it wasn't dry either. You know....those damp days that make you cold from the inside out. I didn't get to go to the yard sale at all that day because I had to work but I worried all day about these great women. They had put so much work into this and their kids were planning to sell lemonade. I really wasn't worried about not getting money for Sara. I was worried that these women had tried to do something kind and it was going to flop.

Kelly texted me at lunch time to tell me that they hadn't had a chance to count the money because they had been so busy. This shocked me! I didn't know that people shopped at yard sales on Friday, first of all. And, the weather was just yucky. This gave me some hope that maybe we would hit that $500 mark in two days. Maybe!

She texted me after to work to ask how much I thought they had made. I really didn't know what to tell her. I didn't want to throw a number that proved to be way too high. I told her I had no idea what a person makes a yard sale. As it turns out, I REALLY had no idea how much a person makes at a yard sale. She responded that they had made almost $1,000!!!! On a yucky Friday, they made almost $1,000!!! The really surprising thing is that they didn't have any big items to sell. This was all from things like clothes, books, strollers, little things. Oh, and a sign that said help our friend bring her daughter home.

She sent the text message with the total along with a message that mentioned a REALLY funny donation they had received. (Someone gave them a huge box of condoms to sell!) I pulled over on the way home for work so I could laugh and cry all at the same time. (I don't recommend this. It causes these painful hiccup-type-things.)

I was so glad that I got to help work the sale on Saturday and see generosity and love in action. Nothing at the sale had prices. The huge sign made it clear that we were raising money for an adoption and all donations would be accepted. The little girls sold bottles of water and lemonade packets. They were very careful to mention Sara in every one of their attempts to sell lemonade.

I got to meet a woman who has been following my blog. That, in and of itself, was a very humbling experience. There are so many of you out there that are invested in this process. It amazes me. (Most of the time, I'm convinced my mom is the only one that reads this.)

Things were pretty steady on Saturday. Again, it was a lot of little purchases. $5 here and $10 there. A yard sale will definitely convince you of the phrase "different strokes for different folks." Some of the things that I thought would NEVER sell were some of the things that people were most excited about.

I'm pretty sure that Kadie's 7-year-old daughter turned out to be the biggest donor. She had bought a wallet on Friday. She showed up Saturday with it in her purse. She must have cleaned out her piggy bank because she made quite a few purchases for herself, her brother, and her cousins. She was very careful to show me that she was paying for each item she took. What a generous spirit in a little girl!

We even had some Jehovah's Witnesses visit in the middle of all the chaos. (That's another post for another time.) I was very touched when the woman doubled back after leaving to make a donation.

The grand total on the two day sale was $1,483.74!!!! Three times what I was praying God would provide. Once again, I'm learning that I need to put down the calculator and just let God work!

I left the yard sale with a little sun burn, a Cozy Coupe, a snow suit and a renewed belief that God is in control and people are incredibly generous.

5 comments:

  1. How awesome!! It amazes me the generosity of people, even after the bad light that media likes to paint people in. Congrats! God is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tears!!!! So great!!!! In my experience most yard sales don't make this much!!! It gives me renewed hope in mankind's generosity when there is a worthy cause!!!! Loved reading this!!!! Thanks so much for sharing your heart & being transparent in all!!!! Blessings, smiles, and LOVE!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AMAZING!! God is working to bring Sara home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. awesome!!! what a great group of friend you have there!

    ReplyDelete