Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Angel Tree

UPDATED SEPTEMBER 21 TO INCLUDE A PAPARAZZI ACCESSORIES PARTY!

I saw yesterday that there are 100 days until Christmas so let's start planning!  

As you probably know, I found my daughter through an organization called Reece's Rainbow.  Each year at Christmas time, they have a huge Angel Tree project with a goal of raising $1,000 for each child listed on their site who has Down syndrome.  This money is held in a grant and then used to help pay for that child's adoption when a family is found.  (Sara had $0 in her grant when I committed to her.  $1,000 would have been a huge blessing!)  

I have signed up to raise money and awareness for Kimberley.

She is an adorable 6-year-old in a country that I love in Latin America.  There is a family that is in the process of adopting a little girl from there right now.  Is it believed that she will be the first child adopted from there with Down syndrome.  Wouldn't it be great if Kimberley was the second?  

I've started working with the service learning coordinator at work to figure out ways that our students can be involved.  I love watching them give back to others and finding ways for them to serve.  I have a few ideas that may work for individual classrooms or for our whole program.  (Classrooms compete in a coin drive; an online auction of art/items made by the kids; Christmas ornaments to sell; etc.)  The Angel Tree doesn't officially start until November 1st so we have lots of time to think and plan.  

I'm also thinking about ways to raise the rest of the money.  (I don't expect the students to raise the entire $1,000.)  

*All orders from my Scarves and Skirts for Sara page will benefit Kimberley during the months of October, November, and December.  It's not too early to think about special orders for Christmas!

*I am planning to host an online auction on my auction page from November 1 to November 15th.  

*I will be selling Cards for A Cause through Usborne Books from October 15 to November 1.  Each box of cards contains 30 cards.  The box sells for $30.  This is way cheaper than buying cards at the store and they are adorable!!

*I will be hosting a Paparazzi Accessories party locally and online at the end of November.  I've never heard of this company before but they sell really cute costume jewelry for great prices.  And they have a kids' line!  I guess I know what I'll be filling Sara's stocking with.  

I'm really excited about advocating and fund raising for this beautiful little girl.  If you would like to help in any way, please let me know!  If you are interested in helping your own child this Christmas season, you can check out the Angel Tree page on Reece's Rainbow.

*Anyone who makes a donation of $35 or more to any child on the Angel Tree will receive an adorable ornament with the child's picture.  What a great gift for those people on your list who have everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment