Friday, November 15, 2013

Letters to My Daughter - Christmas Is Coming

Mija,

It's kind of funny to me now that I address your letters that way. I don't think I've ever called you that.  I call you lots of things but never that.  Right now, it's usually goofball or chickadee.

This time last year, I was pretty sad and frustrated.  I had finally accepted that you wouldn't be home for Christmas but I was starting to feel like you'd never come home. Now, I can't even remember what life was like before you came!  

Last year, I didn't put up a Christmas tree.  I just didn't want to decorate it myself and then take it down before I went to Colombia.  It just seemed pointless.  This year, I am so very, very excited to put up the tree with you.  We may actually do it this weekend---far sooner than socially acceptable.  I just know that you are going to love it and I'm too excited to wait.

You are so in awe of life right now.  Every new thing you do is the best thing ever.  I think that you will be so overjoyed at the sights, sounds, smells, and tastes of Christmas.  You will remind everyone around you of the pure joy of the season.  

I want to soak up every ounce of Christmas and experience all that we can.  (Of course, not too much so you don't get crabby and overwhelmed.  It's such a fine line with you.)  I want to take you to see the mall Santa and pay way too much for a horrible picture.  I want to play in the snow.  I want to ride the Christmas train.  We are going to dinner with Santa at Gigi's playhouse.  We'll do Christmas eve church and sing Silent Night with candles.  (That will be interesting since you are obsessed with blowing out candles.)  We'll do Christmas day with my family.  We'll start our own traditions.  

I want you to hear the Christmas story and love it on whatever level you can.  You love babies and animals so I think you'll like it.  I want you to learn Christmas carols and love them as much as I do.

I want to watch Christmas movies and make cookies.

I want you to wrap presents with me and learn the joy of giving to others.

I want so many things for you this Christmas.  

More than anything, I want you to know that you are loved.  That this Christmas will be different because you have a family to celebrate with.  That you will always be the best gift I have ever received.  

Feliz Navidad, mi chiquita.  
Merry Christmas, my love.  
Mom 


2 comments:

  1. Love to you both, Natalie & Sara - you are both so lucky, as are we, to be a part of our family. Every day is Christmas with the love you share.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post felt like Christmas!!!! The very best to Sara and her MOMMY!!!

    ReplyDelete