Sunday, November 17, 2013

Find Your Passion



My sister just spent her entire weekend walking.  Literally.  3 days.  60 miles.  For breast cancer.   You see, my sister had a friend that passed away far too young from breast cancer.  Abby was an amazing woman and deserves to have her memory honored.

I am so proud of my sister.  She made a promise to honor Abby in this way and she did it.  Aches and pains and all.

I have to admit, though, that the 3 Day is probably not something I would do.  I haven't been personally affected by breast cancer.  It's not that I don't care about people who have it or worry that I might get it some day.  It's just not on the top of my priority and passion list.

Clearly, my passion is orphan care and adoption.  Now, if I could walk for three days and raise money for a waiting child or adopting family, I would do it in a heart beat. I would probably walk for a month if you could guarantee that one of "my" kids would get a family because of it.

I have probably annoyed some of my Facebook friends with my incessant fundraising posts and events.  I'm ok with that.  You don't have to support my causes or fund raisers.  Really, you don't.

What you do have to do is find your own passion.  Figure out what you do want to support and do something about it.  What makes your blood boil?  What melts your heart?  What changes do you want to see in the world?  Find your passion and act on it.

I have friends that post fund raisers for animal shelters and lost dogs.  

I have friends that post fund raisers for their child's school or organization.  

My brother feels very strongly about helping people find financial security and teaches classes about it.  

I have friends that work at Crisis Pregnancy Centers and post their fund raisers.  

I have friends that are passionate about things that I don't even really agree with.  

None of these people are better or more important than others.  They are all just people doing what they can for a cause they believe in.  None of these causes are less worth supporting than others---even if they are things that I wouldn't personally support.

As we head into the end of the year, people start thinking about the new year and resolutions and changes.  Instead of resolving to lose weight or go to the gym or be nicer, why don't you resolve to do something that will impact the world around you---even if it is in a very small way.  The important thing is that you find something you believe deeply in supporting or changing and act on it.  (Then, you can scroll past my orphan posts without guilt because you are already doing something to improve the world.)

"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Ghandi

"No one can do everything but everyone can do something." 

No comments:

Post a Comment