Monday, April 16, 2012

So, how's the adoption going?

In all honesty, this is starting to be my least favorite question ever. It's kind of like when you are a senior and everyone wants to know what you are going to do after graduation. I really don't know how the adoption is going. I've never done one before. I have nothing to compare this to.

I can tell you this: It's long. It's hard. I'm emotionally exhausted.

(I don't think that's what people really want to hear.)

On the other hand: It's amazing. I feel so supported and blessed. I can see God's hand in it.

I feel like I should have a daily update for everyone but really, most days, I just fill out, copy, and notarize more paperwork. I send it off to someone....somewhere....who doesn't seem to be in nearly as much of a hurry as I am.


Regardless, here's where I am in the process right now:

I have completed all the things I need to do for the home study. I've been waiting for a draft from my social worker. She emailed today to say that she will submit it to the state by Friday! FINALLY!!! It then has to be approved by the one person that reads home studies for the entire state. Please pray that she has a slow week next week and gets to it immediately.

I have completed my paperwork for Homeland Security and Immigration. As soon as the homestudy is approved, that paperwork will be sent to a lockbox. I have no idea why they call it that but it doesn't sound promising, does it? Again, please pray that the right person will get my paperwork and that it will be processed quickly!

While I am waiting for that paperwork to be processed, I will compile the rest of the documents for the dossier to go to Latin America. This is a lot of the same paperwork for the homestudy but now has to all be notarized. (This means another visit with my doctor to get a letter she didn't give me last time. Oh, boy!) Thankfully, we have a notary at work who has been very gracious to me and is great to work with! That saves me lots of time!

When that's all approved, I get a date to travel. I will then have to be in country in 3 weeks or less. Yikes! Can't wait and am scared to death to spend so much time in a country, with a child I've just met, but alone. Definitely going to be a life experience I will not soon forget!


The other question I dread: How much money do you still need?
Honestly, I really have no idea. I know that I am about $1,000 short of my program fee. I know that I will need another big chunk when I submit my dossier and some more to travel. I haven't sat down and figured out what I've spent so far or what I still need. I'm a little afraid the number would cause a numbing fear.

I know that God will provide. I've seen it happy so far for me and I've seen it with tons of other RR families in the last month. I appreciate every gift and everyone who has donated.

As soon as I have the official home study, I can start applying for grants. After that, we'll see what happens. I have seen God work so much in this situation that I have to believe he will provide!


The question I hate to answer in person but have lots of answers for: What can I do to help?

1. Pray. I have seen God working and answering prayers. I know it's because there are so many people praying for my little girl to get home quickly. It's the only answer! Please continue to pray for both of us through this process. Pray for those who are caring for her now and for those people who will process our paper work.

2. Repost my blog on your blog. Post it on your facebook. Tweet about it. Spread the word about Sara and about Reeces Rainbow. Long after Sara is home, there will be more little children around the world needing homes.

3. If you are a coffee drinker, both Just Love Coffee and Furnace Hills Coffee are giving a portion of their sales to Sara. FHC even made Sara's blend---specially created to support Sara's adoption.

4. If you feel led to donate, you can donate on the ChipIn on the right or on my FSP on Reece's Rainbow.

5. It's not too late to donate an item to my Give Away that will continue for the rest of the month of April.

6. A few of the women in my small group are planning to host a Yard Sale in early June and donate the profits to Sara. This is still in the beginning planning stages but I wanted to put the idea out there. If you have items that you would like to donate to be sold, please let me know. I will let you know more info as it is available but wanted to let you know that this is coming up. Start cleaning out those closets and the garage!

Above all, just continue to be the amazing, supportive, encouraing people that you have been to me for the last 2 months!

1 comment:

  1. Love you, Babe! It'll all happen in God's timing - but having said that, it doesn't make it any easier to wait! I am anxious to get this all done too, so I can meet my new grand daughter - also getting impatient to meet my other new grandchild!!
    Love, Momn

    ReplyDelete